Benefits of Sage
What is sage?
Sage, also known as common sage or garden sage, is a common herb that belongs to the mint family. It’s native home is throughout Mediterranean regions however, sage grows best throughout shrubland biomes. The herb has a very strong scent and an earthy flavor. Your health can improve from sage due to the fact that it is loaded with amazing nutrients and compounds. Let’s go over a few benefits of sage!
Helps lower blood glucose & cholesterol
- Studies have proved that consuming sage leaf extract have resulted in lower average glucose levels and lower total cholesterol, triglyceride, and levels of harmful cholesterol.
- Antioxidants are molecules that help protect your body from the free radical molecules that surround you.
- A few forms of free radical molecules are toxins in smoke, air pollution, too much sunlight, and alcohol.
- Sage contains over 160 types of polyphenols.
- Polyphenols are plant-based compounds that act as antioxidants throughout your body.
Supports brain function
- Sage helps enhance your memory. Since sage is rich in antioxidants, those antioxidants help buffer your brain’s defense mechanisms.
- For example, studies have shown that individuals who consumed sage leaf extract possessed improved memorization.
- Research has also proved that consuming higher doses of sage may aid in elevated moods.
May aid in menopause symptoms
- When a woman experiences menopause, it’s due to a natural decline in estrogen throughout the body.
- Some of these symptoms can include vaginal dryness, irritability, excessive sweating, and hot flashes.
- The compounds in the herb have estrogen-like properties. These properties help with menopause symptoms.
Aids in oral hygene
- Sage has antimicrobial properties that have shown to neutralize bacteria that cause dental plaque.
- A minor study showed that sage may help heal infected gums, treat throat infections, help mouth ulcers and dental abcesses.
The benefits of sage continue to be researched and explored. Some enjoy sage in tea, food, cocktails, etc. The possibilities are endless with this miraculous herb! Leave a comment below about what other kinds of health and wellness articles you’d like to know about!
Other Health & Wellness Articles
Categories: Health and Wellness