Arroz con Leche Recipe
Feliz Dia de los Muertos! Happy Day of the Dead! We’re celebrating today with this Arroz con Leche recipe, a classic dish enjoyed all year around but even more on this wonderful holiday!
A little history
Dia de los Muertos is a mexican holiday in which families unite and welcome back the souls of their departed family members. It’s believed that the border between the real world and the spirit world dissolve during this time. The holiday is celebrated from October 31st through November 2nd. Families celebrate Day of the Dead by dancing, playing music, and feasting for their loved ones. They treat their deceased loved ones with their favorite foods and other offerings (a.k.a ofrendas). There are many well known dishes that are served around this time and arroz con leche happens to be one of these! Now that you have some background information regarding Dia de los Muertos, let’s dive into this recipe!
- Large pot
- Wooden stirring spoon
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Rice (1 cup)
- Cinnamon stick (1 stick)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic SweetenFX Sugar-free Sugar (½ cup)
- Water (4 cups)
- Milk (6 cups)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Vanilla Extract (1 teaspoon)
- Salt (a pinch)
- In a large pot, combine the milk and water. Make sure to mix it continuously to avoid the mixture getting stuck and burned at the bottom of the pot. Bring the milk and water to a boil.
- Add in a pinch of salt, a cinnamon stick, and Nature’s Flavors Organic Vanilla Extract to the pot.
- Once it begins to foam up and boil, add in Nature’s Flavors SweetenFX Sugar-free Sugar and continue to stir.
- The mixture will come to a boil again and once it does, throw in your rice.
- It’s very important that you continue to stir because you don’t want the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the rice has fully cooked, you can turn off the heat and cover the pot with a lid.
- Enjoy this Arroz con Leche recipe and Happy Day of the Dead!