Benefits of Sesame Oil + DIY Hair Mask
What is Sesame Oil?
Sesame oil is derived from the drought resistant crop that’s been India’s staple oilseed since 800 BC. You read that right folks! Sesame oil has been around for thousands of years. The oil is extracted from sesame seeds, a long and meticulous process. The crop is usually cut by hand and it is stored upright to allow the seeds to fully ripen. If the seeds burst during the process, the crop is no longer useful. Therefore, the oil extraction must be performed when the seeds are ripe and intact.
What are the benefits?
Sesame oil is mainly used in the kitchen but it’s benefits go way beyond that. It’s rich in natural antioxidants that help fight free radicals! Some free radicals are the toxins in smoke, air pollution, alcohol, and too much sunlight. Too many free radicals can lead to a wide variety of human diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s, and diabetes. Antioxidants have the power to clean up those free radicals and cleanse our systems! You can read a more in depth article about the importance of antioxidants here.
Top 5 benefits
- Fatty acids like, Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty can be found in sesame oil
- Studies have shown that these essential fats may help in hair growth
- A lack in fatty acids has shown hair loss in some people
- Too much sun can cause harm to the scalp and to the hair follicles
- Sesame oil can act as a natural hair protector from UV rays
- Massaging the scalp and applying it to the hair creates a protective coating that may aid in fighting off rays from the sun
- Sesame oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties
- These properties help maintain a clean and healthy scalp free of dandruff
- Since sesame oil contains moisturizing properties, the moisture can help fight the itching sensation that dandruff usually causes
- The fatty acids found in sesame oil can help combat dry hair
- It’s emollient properties get deep into the roots of the scalp which then aid in hydrating the hair
- It not only treats the hair from the root but it also makes your hair appear healthier and shinier
- Graying of the hair is mainly due to age, however, environmental stressors can add to the process by causing build-ups of toxic chemicals in the hair
- Since sesame oil is packed with antioxidants, the antioxidants help fight off the buildup which then prevents premature hair graying
DIY organic sesame oil hair mask
What you’ll need
- Nature’s Flavors Sesame Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Nature’s Flavors Coconut Oil (2 tablespoons)
- Mixing spoon
- Essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice (optional)
- Combine all of your ingredients together in a sterile bowl. Use a spoon to make sure that your ingredients are well combined.
- Apply the mask onto your hair for about 30 to 40 minutes. This will allow the mask to really penetrate the scalp and the hair.
- Rinse the mask off with a mild cleanser.