Organic Peppermint Scalp Scrub
Why do I need to exfoliate my scalp?
Our scalps contain sebaceous glands that produce sebum to keep our hair full of moisture. Although, scientists don’t fully understand their process, they know that their primary function is to lock in moisture. With all that being said, sometimes our scalps can overproduce sebum and cause a buildup of oil in the scalp. The overproduction of sebum can lead to dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, hair thinning, and many other complications. This is when exfoliation of the scalp becomes beneficial.
Benefits of scalp exfoliation
Just like how we exfoliate our body, the same must be done for our scalp. Exfoliating the scalp one or two times a week can lead to a healthier scalp and shinier hair. Here are a few benefits from scalp exfoliation.
- Removes product build-up
- Hairstyling products will begin to pile on the scalp and clog hair follicles. Shampooing your hair does not mean that product build-up is removed. You must exfoliate your scalp in order to remove all the gunky products that remain trapped at the hair follicles.
- Promotes hair growth by stimulating the scalp
- Massaging the scalp helps improve blood flow. Better blood flow allows nutrients to reach the follicle faster and strengthen the roots.
- Removes dead skin cells
- Dead skin cells sit at the top of the skin and they need to be removed in order to reveal brighter and healthier hair.
- Can relieve irritated and itchy scalps
- When your scalp feels itchy or irritated, massaging it with a scalp scrub may relieve those symptoms. Depending on the ingredients that your scalp scrub contains, you may even feel a cooling and relaxing sensation.
How to use a scalp exfoliator
Even though exfoliating your scalp can be beneficial, over-exfoliating can cause your scalp to go into a panic. Over exfoliating your scalp can strip your hair from its natural oils. When your hair is stripped from sebum, it begins to create excess oil to compensate for the lost oil. We recommend using a scalp scrub on freshly shampooed hair. Applying it one to two times a week should do the trick. We’ve created an Organic Peppermint Scalp Scrub recipe below!
Peppermint Scalp Scrub Recipe
What you’ll need
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (1 tablespoon)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Coconut Oil (1 tablespoon, melted)
- Organic Himalayan Ground Pink Salt (¼ cup)
- Organic Honey (1 teaspoon)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Peppermint Essential Oil ( drops)
How do I use it?
- Start with freshly shampooed hair. You don’t need to adjust your regular hair regime for this scrub.
- Divide your hair into four sections, your hair should still be wet.
- With clean hands, apply a tablespoon of the scrub onto the scalp.
- Gently massage it onto your scalp and allow it to set for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with warm water and follow it up with your regular shampoo & conditioner.
- We hope you enjoyed this Organic Peppermint Scalp Scrub!