Natural DIY Fabric Softener
Fabric softeners are known to be a key element of the laundry process. Softeners tend to make our clothes smell more pleasant and free clothes of wrinkles and static. However, fabric softeners carry loads of chemicals that can be harmful for our bodies and for the environment. With that being said, we’ve created this Natural DIY Fabric Softener! It only requires a few simple ingredients and it’s proven to leave your clothes smelling oh so fresh! Before we jump into this DIY project, let’s go over a few reasons why fabric softeners are harmful.
- Common household products can contain more than 3,000 fragrance ingredients. Companies don’t have to list what the fragrance is made of because there is no authority overseeing the process.
- Many fabric softeners contain phthalates to disperse scent. However, these chemicals have been known to cause changes in hormones, obesity, diabetes, lower sperm count, birth defects, and thyroid irregularities.
- When the word “preservatives” is listed on a product label, the company may be referring to various different types of chemicals.
- Methylisothiazolinone and Glutaral are common preservatives that are found in fabric softeners.
- Methylisothiazolinone is an allergen that has been linked to severe skin reactions and painful irritations.
- Glutaral has been known to trigger asthma and cause skin reactions.
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds
- Quaternary ammonium compounds also known as, “Quats”, are used in laundry softeners to make articles of clothing feel softer. However, quats have been known to trigger asthma and cause reproductive issues.
- Quats are also known to be detrimental to marine life. Even though quats are biodegradable in oxygenated environments, they cannot break down in environments without oxygen.
- A study found that ample amounts of quats had been found in samples of soil and sludge. When the dirty water from a load of laundry is regulated through wastewater treatment systems, it is dispersed back into the environment. All of the chemicals that are in your laundry softener are within the water that is being reused.
- Mixing bowl
- Glass jar
- Mixing spoon
- Disposable pipette
- Water (2 cups)
- Nature’s Flavors Natural Vegetable Glycerin (2 tablespoons)
- White vinegar (2 cups)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Calm Sea Fragrance Emulsion (10 drops)
- In a mixing bowl, combine water, Nature’s Flavors Natural Vegetable Glycerin, and white vinegar. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Next, add in Nature’s Flavors Organic Calm Sea Fragrance Emulsion. Stir everything together.
- Transfer your natural fabric softener to a glass jar.
- Enjoy your Natural DIY Fabric Softener!