Lemon Buttermilk Cake
We were determined to make a delicious Lemon Buttermilk Cake and we did it! We used our Pure Organic Lemon Flavor Extract for this recipe and we absolutely love it!
- Whole-fat buttermilk (1 ¼ cup)
- Baking flour (2 ¾ cup)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Yellow Food Coloring (1 teaspoon)
- Baking powder (2 teaspoons)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Pure Lemon Extract (3 tablespoons)
- Baking soda (½ teaspoon)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Vanilla Extract (1 tablespoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
- Lemon zest (1 lemon)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Sugar-free SweetenFX for Beverages (2 cups)
- Vegetable oil (¼ cup)
- Unsalted butter (10 tablespoons, softened)
- Eggs (4 large eggs)
- Lemon juice (2 lemons)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Sugar-free SweetenFX for Baking (6 cups)
- Buttermilk (3 tablespoons)
- Unsalted butter (1 ½ cups, softened)
- Nature’s Flavors Organic Pure Lemon Extract (1 tablespoon)
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350°.
- Prepare two baking pans with non-stick cooking spray. We used two different sizes for our baking pans. We used a 9″ baking pan and a 6″ baking pan.
- Cut out two circles of parchment paper for the bottom of each baking pan. This will ensure that your cake does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, cream the butter and Nature’s Flavors SweetenFX sugar until they reach a fluffy consistency. We recommend beating both ingredients on ‘high’ for about 4 minutes.
- In a seperate bowl, combine the baking flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Mix so that they are all well combined. Set aside
- Beat in the eggs, lemon zest, Nature’s Flavors Organic Vanilla Extract, Nature’s Flavors Organic Lemon Extract, oil, lemon juice, and Nature’s Flavors Organic Yellow Food Coloring into the butter/sugar mixture.
- Once all of the ingredients have been well combined, scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Slowly fold in the buttermilk and flour mixture. Alternate each and make sure you’re mixing on low.
- Pour the lemon cake batter evenly onto each baking pan.
- Bake both cakes on the middle rack of your oven for 30 minutes. Do not disturb the cakes while they are baking, we want to make sure that the cake does not droop in.
- Once, the center of the cakes have puffed up, do the fork test to make sure that there is no batter stuck on the fork.
- Allow the cakes to cool.
- Beat the softened butter until it reaches a light and fluffy consistency.
- Mix in the buttermilk and Nature’s Flavors Organic Lemon Extract. Keep mixing until everything is well combined.
- Add in Nature’s Flavors Organic Sugar-free Sugar one cup at a time.
- Move the larger cake onto your desired cake stand.
- Scoop some frosting onto the cake and using a large flat spatula, spread the frosting out evenly.
- Place the smaller cake on top of the first cake.
- Scoop more frosting onto the cake and repeat the process until your lemon cake looks pretty.
- Serve and enjoy this Lemon Buttermilk Cake!
Other yummy cakes we’ve made!
- Red Velvet Mug Cake
- Tres Leches Cake & Butter Rum Frosting
- No-bake Blueberry Cheesecake
- Vegan Carrot Cake